Thursday, October 30, 2014

Graphing Our Favorite Fall Activities & Halloween Health

I used this product to make a class graph of our favorite fall activities.  Although it is aimed at K/1st, I was able to adapt it for my 2nd graders :)  She has so many great graphs for your students to do!
Fall Graphing Activities
Teaching 2nd grade, I wanted to take it a step further by having students write about the graph.

First, we read and discussed:
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Graph-Contest-Loreen-Leedy/dp/0823420299/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414718056&sr=8-2&keywords=graphing+books+for+kids

Next, we made predictions as to which fall activity students thought would be the most popular.  I was wrong in my prediction of students choosing picking pumpkins.  I think that thanks to our field trip to a local farm a few weeks ago, the hayride activity was chosen the most. :)

Next, students made their choice and as a class be built the graph on our hallway bulletin board.  I don't know about you, but I am always looking for ideas for what to put out there as I am not very creative on my own.


Last, students wrote about what the graph showed.  Here are some samples below:


 


My students really enjoyed this activity.  It was a nice break from our math book.  I extended it by having some of my higher students write questions about the graph. 

As Halloween is tomorrow, the teacher next door to me had a student of hers bring this project in.  I think that it is such a great idea!  Thankfully she allowed me to share it :)

She has students share mini-reports (one student per day) including: health (this one), science, news, and more.  I have to talk with her more about this as I think that it is a great idea to help students with their presentation skills!

I hope that you enjoy your Halloween!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment