Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Guided Math Book Study: Chapter 9

I am linking up for the final chapter with
The Math Maniac
for a book study of

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1596672358/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1596672358&linkCode=as2&tag=theelematman-20&linkId=TUVU5VXARJGHE2XM
Chapter 9-The First 20 Days of Math Workshop: Setting the Stage for Effective Guided Math Groups
These first 20 days are critical for how your year will go.  I must say, that they really do depend on the class makeup, and if your students have had math workshop in the past.  Some year, I keep some of my same class, so I can sometimes spend a day or two less as I have ready made "math time coaches" who know how math workshop works.

During these days, you have two main goals according to Dr. Newton:
1. Teach your students to be mathematicians (listen, read, write, and speak about math)
2. Teach your students how to work together using specific routines and procedures.

Making anchor charts are important and should include:
1. What math workshop looks like
2. What math workshop sounds like
3. What math workshop feels like

You should also include how to talk about math, and how to play games.  I feel like today, too many students come with little or sometimes no experience in playing board games.  They may need to be coached as to who starts the game.  In my classroom, it starts with the math captain.  If there is not a math captain, students play "rock, paper, scissors."

Dr. Newton provides a nice plan which is perfect for anyone who is using guided math for the first time.

Although I have been using guided math for many years in my classroom, I would still recommend this book to both those who are new to guided math, as well as those who have been doing it for years!  The key thing is, you have to do what works for you and for the group of students that you have any given year.



I am joining up with some teacher author friends for some end of July summer fun!  Make sure that you check back in tomorrow for some really great deals and a chance to win 1 of 4 $50 TPT gift cards!  You can also find out by following my Facebook page, and make sure to "get notifications" so you don't miss any daily deals or freebies over the next few days!

2 comments:

  1. I love how this book gave me fresh ideas and reminded me why Guided Math is so important.! Thank you for participating in this book study!

    Tara
    The Math Maniac


    ReplyDelete