Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Diggin' Into Next Year: Math Workshop

I finished packing up my classroom.  I have to say that due to all of the cabinet space that I am fortunate enough to have, it was much easier than it normally is.  It was so weird looking at it like this.
Anyway....
 Teach math
I have students divided int four groups.  With the split class, I had 2 groups for each grade.  But, as I am supposed to teach a straight 2nd grade next year I will have 4 groups.  These groups are guided and flexible so that I can adjust the lesson to the needs of each group.

My math time is divided into four sections:
  • math with the teacher-I give the lesson and using math talk promote discussion among the students
  • paper practice-students work on math from their math book, and can choose an item from their math folder for extra work/enrichment
  • math games/activities-I use many TPT games, as well as games that I have bought elsewhere
  • math on the computer-students work on www.scootpad.com, and www.xtramath.org, and if they have extra time they can go on another math site to play math games or watch math videos
Each group has a drawer to store their math books and math folders.  The bottom two drawers are for me to store math related things.
This is my math group list and also shows who math captains are each day.   During math centers, my math captains have several jobs and privileges.  When they are at my table for guided math, they get to sit by me and pass out and collect everyone's books and math folders from their group's math drawer.  They also get to sit in the teacher chair with wheels at the computer for their computer math time.  In addition, they get first choice of math activities/games when they are at the math game & activity center (students choose in order after this so that there is not arguing about whose turn it is).  So for example, person F would choose first in group 2, followed by G, H, and E.

These push pins have made my life so much easier and so much less arguing in the classroom!!!  Oh, the things that you wake up in the middle of the night thinking out...push-pins:)  I tend to get many of my classroom improvement ideas in the middle of the night...LOL:)
Since I had the split, I had 2 bins to store the games/activities for math centers (1 for each grade).  Next year, I will only have one bin.  Once in a while a game/activity is too big, so I just place it on top.  Since there are 4 activities, I replace these once per week, when in theory everyone should have had a chance to play each game.  I usually have one day each week for students to do "math read to self" or "math read to someone" instead. 
This is the check-in sheet for math games.  Students write down the date that they played each game.  I can easily see who has not played a game as of yet by looking at this sheet.
This is our math on the computer schedule.  Students have about 15 minutes each day for computer math.  I have them go on different programs to start to ensure that they get to everything throughout the week.  Free choice math allows them to work on any math site that is at a "just right" level for them.


Since I will not be teaching a split class next year, my calendar time will focus on 2nd grade skills.
I also want to find more enrichment projects for my students as well as integrating art, and writing more into math.
I love teaching math, and so I have many math products in my store!  I am offering two of them for 50% until I go to be on Friday night :)  I plan on adding and revising them both in the next few weeks, so this is a great chance to buy them now on sale, before the price goes up on both of them!  Click on the pictures to see the products :)
Calendar Routine for 1st and 2nd Grade 
You can see all of my math related resources by clicking here.

I hope that you check out all of the other great posts about teaching math!  You can click on the picture to see links to all of their posts:)
http://wherethemagichappensdaily.blogspot.com/2014/06/mathology.html


No comments:

Post a Comment