Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Second Grade Math Maniac Take Home Math Kit Review

I am soooo excited to have the chance to review Second Grade Math Maniac's Take Home Math Kits with the help of my 1st and 2nd graders and their families!  I love teaching math and have been looking for a product like this so that my students could have math games and activities beyond their regular homework to work on math while at home.   I feel that this product completely met the need that I had in my classroom!

First, let me say that I would recommend you checking out her blog.  It is so cute and has so many wonderful ideas for your classroom!  She has ideas for all areas of the curriculum.  I just saw a great new brain break site that she wrote about today on it!  Click on the image to check it out!

Second Grade Math Maniac
Now, back to my review:)  I offered the opportunity to my entire class of 1st and 2nd graders and their families, and the majority signed up.  Casey even includes a letter (which includes expectations for families so that the games will be ready to use again and again by more students) that is ready to send home so you don't have the take the time to write one.  What a time saver!  So, for the past few weeks I have been sending them home and I have gotten great feedback!  I have also been using them in my classroom during math centers as well and they work well for that too.  So this product works well for both home and school for 1st and 2nd graders!

Take Home Math Kits: 30 Games for Students and Their Families
She includes a list of the kits and the standard that they go with.  All I had to do was look for standards that we are working on for each of the grades, and then decide which games that I want to use for the remainder of the year.  She also includes a checklist to keep track of who has what game.  Here is a snapshot of the kits list.  It's easy peasy managing these games!


Here are some of them ready to be laminated.
Thankfully my school provides a laminator to use free of charge:)  Here are some all bagged up and ready to go!  These are my classroom ones, but I send home the home ones in laminated manilla envelopes.

She provides an answer sheet for any game/activity that needs one which is helpful for in the classroom for students that disagree about the correct answer, or if a parent is not available to help while the student is using it while at home. 

Here are some photos of my 1st and 2nd graders using the activities and games in the classroom:

Geometry: Students were counting vertices, edges, and faces.

Measurement: Students were sorting how different objects were measured (inches or feet).
Place Value: Students are practicing place value with a "war" like game.  I really like how she included the numeral, expanded form, and with base 10 blocks.

Measurement: Students are measuring different objects on the farm using inches.



She even provides as assessment page for each game/activity that students could do at home!

I would highly recommend this product for use both in the classroom, or to really help to develop a better school/home connection!  These would also be perfect if you have a family math night in your classroom.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome review! I love seeing my products in action with students other than my own. Thank you! :)

    Casey
    Second Grade Math Maniac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the opportunity! My students loved it, and love Mondays now because they can take a math game home :)

      Delete