Thursday, April 24, 2014

Eggs, Eggs, and More Eggs :)

My students have had a lot of fun with eggs recently!  I wanted to share some of the fun things that we have done:)

We started by watching The Magic School Bus: Cracks a Yolk episode.  I bought the entire set at Costco last year and it has been worth it :)  If you have access to United Streaming, they have many of the episodes on there too.  I like having the DVDs though (especially for subs).  We also watched a short video from my favorite museum (Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry) on chicks hatching.  I always loved visiting that exhibit when I was a child!

I feel like I don't do enough art, so this was the perfect spring bulletin board:)  Students were allowed to choose from several eggs (there were more but I forgot to take pictures:) and add torn paper with glue to their egg.  This was perfect for the random pieces of construction paper that I have in my cabinet.  I do have a student who is a Jehovah's Witness, so I had him make a tree.



We also did some word study activities.  Students had a basket of eggs.  Inside each egg was one word for them to figure out.  I colored the paper with crayons to help keep the eggs in order.




 I don't have a picture of it, but we are currently doing the "naked egg experiment."  You can see how to do it here.  My students are really enjoying this so far!  I would recommend it!

Last, matching math problems with eggs.  I did not do this but my friend who teaches 1st grade next door did.  I saw it the morning of and plan on doing it next year:)  She was kind enough to allow me to take a picture of it.  I think that it can be adapted easily for different math skills and grade levels!  :)
I hope that you found an idea that you can use in your classroom next spring!



2 comments:

  1. Great ideas! I'm going to check out that science video. I love the colorful eggs. So cute! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Melissa
    Teacher Treasure Hunter

    ReplyDelete