Monday, December 16, 2013

Old Fashioned Christmas Gifts & Winter Reading Challenge

At my old school, pretty much only kindergarten made parent gifts.  But I recently found out that all of lower elementary makes them.  So last week I was trying to figure out what to do.  My mom usually comes in and helps with projects, but that did not work with her schedule this year.

Well, on Friday night I went to Holiday Nights at Greenfield Village (Michigan).  If you live in the area, I highly recommend going!  I believe that this is my 5th year:)  My favorite part is when children hear Santa calling out their names from the top of the roof of one of the houses (he has radio contact with elves for parents to talk with).  The looks on their faces bring so much joy to those who are there:)
 
I digress...my students have been studying pioneers so while at the store there, I found this tin art project!  We talked about tin, and how it was used for many things.  I started with my kids today and they are loving it!!!




After hammering away, they were each able to choose their wrapping paper and a bow to go with it.  :) 

I also found a great freebie this week on TPT!  It is a cup of hot cocoa with marshmallows.  Students choose a marshmallow to put in their cup (read under the Christmas tree, etc.).  She has two versions: Christmas, and just winter.  I think that my kids will really enjoy this for a change and find a few new ways to read over the break.  You can click on the picture to pick up this great freebie!  :)

Winter Break Marshmallow Reading Challenge

Four more days to go! 


No comments:

Post a Comment