Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanksgiving Fun:)

We have had a lot of fun the last few days with Thanksgiving activities so I wanted to show you some highlights...

First, I found two FREE math games on TPT that were perfect for both my 1st and 2nd graders respectively.  Click on each picture if you would like to download it for your classroom.

First Graders played "Gobble Bump" which enabled them to practice their addition skills.

FREE Gobble Bump Math Game - Addition
Second graders are working on odd/even numbers so they practiced "Turkey Trot."  Students decide if they are odd or even.  Then, they roll dice and if the number is even, they move one spot (if it is odd, then they move).  You can differentiate this by having cards with larger numbers as well.
FREE Turkey Trot math game
They had a lot of fun. They seem to love math more when there is something seasonal involved to practice a given skill.

In writing, we made two things: "Thankful Trees," and "Unusual Things to Be Thankful For."

I got the idea somewhere but can't seem to find it right now :(  For the "Thankful Trees," students chose 5 things that they are thankful for.  Then they wrote a page about why they were thankful for each thing.  After that, they made their trees and we stapled their writing next to their trees. They also added pictures on their book covers of the things that they are thankful for this year.  Thank goodness the art teacher is so nice in sharing her bulletin board space:)  Here is a picture:
We also wrote about unusual things to be thankful for.  I got the lesson from Sunny Days in Second Grade.  Students wrote about things such as the alphabet, shoes, band-aids, etc.  She gives them a nice list of ideas, and I let my students choose their ideas to write about (rather than draw a card from a bag).  You can get her lesson for free here.  I think that next year I might combine these two lessons together.

Today was the highlight though I think for many of my students.  We made a project that I remember making when I was in elementary school:)  I think that the kids really got a kick out of knowing that:)  We made apple turkeys with: apples, toothpicks, marshmallows, and raisins. 


Here is a picture of how they turned out:)  If you are wondering about the coffee filters, that is what we used to hold our turkeys as we made them.  I use them all of the time to hold snack!  I tell the kids to hold them like a flower that has not yet bloomed until they sit down so that they do not drop their crackers, etc.
 
Now, off for me to finish up my report cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment