Friday, May 31, 2013

Graphing Our Favorite Fruit

Today we graphed our favorite fruits to go along with the big book Kakadu Jack.
I provided a variety of fruit including: strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, pineapple, and green melon.  During our fruit taste test, we came up with adjectives to describe each piece of fruit like they do in the book. 
Once students had tried at least a "baby bite" of each type of fruit, students had to decide which fruit that they had today was their favorite.  We discussed how they might have another favorite fruit that was not tested, and how that would be a very large graph.

Then we went to the Create a Graph and created a pie graph as everyone has mastered the bar graph.  This is a great site to create various types of graphs and can be used in a variety of grade levels.
This was our graph.  I was able to e-mail myself a copy from the site.  I meant to print it in color for each child, but my computers were just broken and I appear to no longer have color printer access since they have been fixed.  :(
 I had the students write a few sentences about the data that the graph showed.
I feel that this was a great end of year activity:)

No comments:

Post a Comment