Thursday, May 9, 2013

End of Year Opinion Writing


As the end of the year draws near, I had my students write opinion pieces on the school year.  They had to agree or disagree with the following statement, and support their answers. 

Next year's 1st and 2nd graders will enjoy being in this room.  Agree or disagree and support your answer.

We then brainstormed all of the positive things that they liked about school this year.  They came up with a lot of ideas, including favorite books that we read for read aloud, and favorite games or art projects.  We then came up with some negative things.  That list was small, and mainly included no rest times and less time for recess. 

Their paper included the following components:
-Title
-Lead
-3+ reasons to support their answer for 1st grade and 5+ answers for 2nd grade
-Ending

I have to say that they really "filled my bucket" as they all chose to agree with the statement!  I am awful about hanging things in the hallway, so I think that this is the perfect thing to hang up at this point of the year:)

In the next couple of weeks, I will have my students complete a "teacher report card" which really gives me a lot of insight:)  I will post that soon.

Only 19 days left for us this year!  I do have a wonderful class and will miss them very much!  I still have so many things that I want to do with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment