Monday, March 4, 2013

"It's my turn!" "No, it' mine!"

I am joining up with
4th Gr Flipper
for "Tried it Tuesday." I don't know about you, but I have the worst time of keeping track of whose turn it is for special things in my classroom.  This is a solution that I just came up with (although I am sure that someone else in the world has probably also done it but I just never saw it).  Anyway, I hope that it will help out at least someone reading this:)  I created a list of my various reading and math groups, and keep track of whose turn it is with push pins.  My "teacher assistant" of the week (they keep their jobs for a week in my classroom) has the job of moving the push pins down to the next person after reading and math.  If the reading/math captain is absent on their day, I just move it to the next person and they miss their turn. 

During literacy centers, my reading captain gets to sit in the rocking chair on their day.  They really like this and there is no arguing about who gets to sit there:)

During math centers, my math captains have several jobs and privileges.  When they are at my table for guided math, they get to sit by me and pass out and collect everyone's books and math folders from their group's math drawer.  They also get to sit in the teacher chair with wheels at the computer for their computer math time.  In addition, they get first choice of math activities/games when they are at the math game & activity center.

These push pins have made my life so much easier and so much less arguing in the classroom!!!  Oh, the things that you wake up in the middle of the night thinking out...push-pins:)  I tend to get many of my classroom improvement ideas in the middle of the night...LOL:)

Does anyone out there have any other ideas to aid in this area?

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Your blog's header and background are awesome! My reader described them to me. I love your push pin ideas. I have a magic hat that a student pulls bunnies (with student names on them in print and in Braille) out of, to answer questions and to be the materials passer.

    I'm so glad I found your blog! I also just became a follower. Come over and visit me if you have a second. :)

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    Teaching with Sight

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, thanks for the compliment:) I too use something similar with popsicle sticks with student names on them and pull them as needed. I am a new follower to you now as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! If it's ok with you, I'd like to mention your blog in my next post. I'm going to tie it into this book I have called "Bears at the Beach".

      I'm not sure if I'm getting comments from people on my blog - one blogger mentioned that she tried a few days ago and it didn't work. Can you try it and let me know if it works? If the comment doesn't go up, can you send me an email?

      Sharon Dudley, NBCT
      Teaching with Sight
      sharon.a.dudley@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Sharon, I would be honored to be mentioned on your blog! I don't think that I have ever been mentioned on a blog before.

      I just looked at your blog and am happy to see that you are able to get comments now. I had trouble when I first started as there was a setting that I needed to fix so I can understand the frustration.

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea!! I use popsicle sticks to keep track of many random drawings. They are painted different colors on each end and when their name is drawn, the opposite color goes facing up. Once everyone has had a turn, they all get flipped back to the original color to start over! Your blog is adorable and I love the beach theme:) Thanks for linking up!
    ~Holly
    Fourth Grade Flipper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized that you forgot to link back to the linky party:) If you have any questions on that, I can help! Thanks again:)

      Delete
    2. I actually posted this about a month ago, but thought that it would be a good addition to your linky party. I can add it now though:) Sorry...technically I have been blogging for over a year, but haven't "really" blogged until recently and am learning a lot about linking up, etc. :) I'll let you know if I have any trouble.

      Delete
    3. P.S. Thank you for the compliment! I too use popsicle sticks...they are so helpful to get rid of the "hogs and logs" (kids that either constantly raise their hands, or never do so) :)

      Delete
  4. I like your idea of the push-pins. I also use popsicle sticks but that is more for answering questions or forming groups for an activity. I like have a paper where the students have the responsiblity to change names. Makes them more accountable. Thanks for sharing this. My wheels are a-spinning!
    Tammy

    Mrs. Flickinger's Butterfly Oasis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of help:) I too use popsicle sticks for other things.

      Delete