Thursday, January 17, 2013

Back in the Classroom, and a freebie:)

I was so excited to be back with my students today after working with the Michigan Department of Education the last 3 days on the social studies interim assessment!  It was really interesting to see what goes into making a standardized test.  If you ever get the chance to work on such a project, I would highly recommend it as it is a very interesting experience!  I learned a lot, plus they gave me a great breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, and unlimited bathroom break:)  LOL!  My return today was crazy as I found out the other day I would have professional development in the morning so the kids had another sub today for the morning, and I did not have my prep time either as it was in the morning.  I did really enjoy having my kids this afternoon though!  And, I finished DIBELING for the winter.  Now, I just have to score them...  My goal for tomorrow is to just get ready for Tuesday as we have all day professional development on Monday:) 

So, I really feel like I need to work more on improving my writing instruction.  I dabbled in "Paragraph of the Week" when I taught 3rd grade about 6 years ago.  Now that I am with 1st and 2nd grade, I think that it is still usable after being tweaked.  The only "Paragraph Of the Week" I found that was ready made, was on TPT, but was aimed at the higher grades and would be over the heads of most of my students.  It did look wonderful, but it was not going to meet the needs of my class.  So tonight I wrote my own version.  I am including a few pictures here.  I am willing to send it to free to the first 3 people who comment with their e-mail, as long as they are willing to give me a little feedback in return.  :)  Just to explain, "teacher's choice" could be whatever skill that you are working on such as adding strong verbs.








Has anyone else ever done "Paragraph of the Week" with 1st and 2nd graders?  I am curious to see if/how other people use it.  My plan is to continue their morning journals every other week as of right now, and work on these on the opposing weeks.  I am open for any feedback about both the product, as well as using it in the classroom.

Happy writing!




No comments:

Post a Comment