Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Classroom Organization and Design

I took the opportunity from all of the construction and moving, to redesign my classroom for the first time in about 4 years.  Here are some pictures and explanations:)

***********************************************************************************
When I am prepping all of my school supplies for the school year, I like to make a couple of extra bags for new students.  I usually only get a day's notice for getting a new student...now all I have to do is grab a bag with all of the folders, notebooks, crayons, etc. that they will need, and they are ready to start in my classroom.  I find that I save a lot of time by doing this!

**********************************************************************************
These are my student mailboxes.  Unfortunately, they were broken in the move.  I have exactly enough for the 22 students that I will have this year (smaller number vs. my normal 29-32 due to the split), but I am hoping to
get some sort of new ones sometime soon.  Each child is assigned a mailbox # that they write on all things (or are supposed to at least;), it makes it much easier for me to file papers.  The red basket is for my Scholastic Book Order things.  The green basket holds breakfast and lunch sheets, as well as envelopes for loose lunch money.  My school participates in the "Boxtops" program so that is what is in the yellow bucket.

 **********************************************************************************
This is my group/morning meeting/calendar area.  I am allergic to chalk, so I covered the chalkboard with this paper, and use sticky tack and magnets for my calendar things.  On the right, I have today's schedule.  I made these cute sand ones to use, but unfortunately the color printer is not up and running yet:(  I have non-fiction book bins on the shelves below.  
 **********************************************************************************
This is a closer view.
**********************************************************************************
I got my literacy genre posters from Beth Newingham who actually teaches in a town not too far away from me:)  You can download them here.  The book hospital basket is quite full on top (I think it was probably my fault as with the end of the year move, I must admit that I tossed a few books in there that were from bins already packed up.  We have leveled books for fiction and non-fiction books.  If I have a lot of books by one author, I have an author study shelf/bin which these are.  The non-fiction books are grouped by topic (regardless of level) but students look for a book on the topic that they are interested in, but that is at their level.
 *********************************************************************************
This is the rest of my classroom library.  You can also see my "Sea Star of the Week" board.  Each child gets the chance to make one to hang there for the week so that everyone else will learn more about him/her.  The display bookshelf in the front contains my monthly books.  These books are seasonal and change each month.  You can't really see it, but I have a small drawer set of things for indoor recess behind that shelf along with blocks.
 **********************************************************************************
We are required to do "Daily 5" at my school so here is my CAFE board.  The pictures are a cut up shower curtain.  You can also see my tiny desk.  I basically use it to just keep my lesson plan and record book in/on.  I have not had a "teacher desk" since part way through my first year of teaching and I LOVE IT!  :)
 *********************************************************************************
This is a closer look behind my kidney (small group) table.  The white bins on the left are for me to keep desk supplies organized (ex. pencils, stickers, stamps).  The white crate holds my copies (I try to copy morning math, handwriting, etc. a few weeks at a time so on Fridays, I just have to grab what I need for the following week.  The blue crate holds one folder for each day of the week.  whenever I am planning something, I just stick whatever book, worksheet etc. in the folder of the correct day.  The clear drawers are for my guided reading groups' books.  The shelf contains emergency sub materials as well as teacher's guides that I use on a regular basis.
**********************************************************************************
This wall contains several things: math manipulatives and math chart, writing progress chart, word wall, writing center, and word center materials for writing and for "Daily 5." 
 *********************************************************************************
This is my "art center."  The pails are passed out to each table when we are doing cutting and gluing as it helps to make clean-up a snap:)   I also have a teacher only pencil sharpener, as well as hand sanitizer, and a little crab that holds band-aids.  I will also be putting student work on there once school starts as I can tape to it and not have to worry about it.
 **********************************************************************************
I have an ugly brown cupboard that has velcro and other things stuck to it, so I covered it with a shower curtain and now use it to showcase "Sea our great work!" 
 **********************************************************************************
This is another view of my small group table.
 **********************************************************************************
These are my guided math drawers.  Each group has its own drawer to hold math journals and folders.  I have 2 drawers to hold teacher guides and anything else that I might need for the day.  The blue basket on top contains slates used for small group time, while the pencil containers hold various math manipulatives that I use on a regular basis.
 **********************************************************************************
This is my job chart.  I am still waiting for an updated class list.  Each child will have their own sea creature with their name on it. Every Friday (unless it is a short week), I shift the names down.  The two people jobs students keep for two weeks.
**********************************************************************************
I hope that you enjoyed the tour of my classroom!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment