Thursday, June 2, 2011

Math Workstations Blog Party Chapters 1-2

These are my responses to the "blog party" for Debbie Diller's Book Math Work Stations" located at:
http://www.mrswillskindergarten.com/ .

1. Materials used by the teacher first, then placed in the station: YES
2. Materials do not change weekly, but rather change to reflect the students learning objectives: I USUALLY CHANGE THEM BY SKILLS THAT WE ARE FOCUSING ON.  AS EVERYDAY MATH SPIRALS, I MAY HAVE SEVERAL SKILLS OUT AT A TIME
3. All students go to stations daily: YES, UNLESS WE HAVE A SHORTENED DAY FOR SOME REASON
4. Materials are differentiated: SOMETIME YES AND SOMETIMES NO.  I NEED TO WORK ON THIS...
5. The teacher observes work or meets with differentiated math groups: YES (DAILY)

1.  How do you (or will you) differentiate your math stations? 
I have to admit that this is an area that I need and want to work on improving.  Currently, my school district uses the "Everyday Math" program.  I bought the differentiation guides available for the grades that I teach (1st and 2nd).  I do get quite a few ideas from that as to how to differentiate the math program's games.  As for other games, I may vary the rules a bit depending on the level of the group.
2.  How and where do you keep your math stations?
I have a cabinet where I store my math materials.   I also have 2 sets of plastic drawers (6 drawers in total) where each group stores their math journals and folders.  I also use a drawer for my teaching materials, and another for some of the games that I am using.  Some of the materials are stored in the math center in bins (ex. dominoes, dice, rulers).  Depending on the activity, student know where these materials are located and use them and return them as needed.
3.  How do you keep your math materials organized?
I have a cabinet which is organized by math strands (ex. money, time, measurement, fractions).  Some of the larger games/activities are stored on the top shelf as they do not fit into the boxes.   
Some of the materials are stored in the math center in bins (ex. dominoes, dice, rulers).  Depending on the activity, student know where these materials are located and use them and return them as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment